Viva La France - it's not all about the football!
Posted on 24 June 2016
All eyes might be on France right now as football fever takes over, but Franco-style has always been in focus for fashion lovers the world over.
We all know elements that epitomise Gallic chic; think a simple t-shirt with tailored trousers teamed with ballerina flats, cute fitted trenches, choppy, tousled bobbed hair, dewy barefaced make up with lashings of mascara and a pop of real red lipstick…sure it all seems so effortless right?!
The love affair with French girl style certainly isn’t a new or fleeting adoration – just look at the countless books and websites devoted entirely to the very subject. Real style never falls out of fashion so whatever your own personal style we reckon there’s always room for a little French fancy!
You don’t have to go full Bardot (but come on, why wouldn't you?) instead try taking a little inspiration from our favourite Gallic icons to add some je ne sais quoi to your look this summer.
- Keep make up simple and clean – a light foundation base teamed with a thin liquid line on the upper eyelid and lashings of mascara on the top and bottom lashes. Finish with a nude gloss or go real Parisienne with a pure red lippy. We love Bourjois' Rouge Edition Lipstick in Jet Set
- Get sexy ‘just out of bed’ hair (not to be confused with ‘just fell out of bed and couldn’t find a hairbrush’ hair) by lightly scrunching a little tousle into damp hair and allowing to dry naturally (add serum to unruly hair while damp) or tie up in a messy bun for girls on the go. A long, brow skimming fringe a la Charlotte Gainsbourg will also give your look a little va va voom!
- French girl style is simple and chic – tuck a fitted t-shirt into an A-line midi skirt or capri pants, or pair a plain silk shirt with jeans and heels. Team minimalist basics and add stylish accessories – a scarf, bag or statement shoes, to make the look work
- French fashionistas favour neutral shades – go for white, grey, beige, black and navy tones as your main palette
- We love the ‘less is more’ mantra when it comes to looking good and the key to nailing real French style is to make it look effortless (even if it’s really not!) As the legendary Coco Chanel once said: “Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance” and who are we to argue?
French Icons We Adore
Although originally a Londoner, few women encapsulate the very essence of French chic like the iconic Jane Birkin. The wide eyed beauty rocked a look back in the 60’s that barely dates today, proving that simple cool really doesn’t age. A famed actress and singer, she is also the namesake of the coveted Hermes 'Birkin' bag.
Be inspired by Birkin and show off your style with this black shirt dress available in store here
The 2001 film ‘Amelie’ is the stuff of all French girl fanatics dreams, not least due to the presence of ultimate quirky girl crush, the fabulous Audrey Tautou.
While she sported a very defined and short bob in the film, Tautou’s own look is usually much softer – be it a ruffled pixie crop or lightly tousled shoulder length style. In true French style she keeps her make up minimal, with mascara, lipstick, and perfectly groomed brows being her mainstay.
We love Audrey’s cute and quirky style – check out our pintuck and lace top in store here, perfect paired with your favourite jeans - just add a little joie de vivre!